Tulsa 9.12 Project Tulsa County Sheriff Candidate Voter Guide
Party Affiliation: Republican
Previous offices held: None
Occupation: Police Corporal
Current Employment: City of Tulsa Police Department
Education: Bachelor of Science, Psychology, Oklahoma State University Associates of Arts, Criminal Justice, Tulsa Junior College
Endorsements: Scott Eudey, Attorney, Broken Arrow City Council
1. What is your top public-service accomplishment?
I am one of five individuals in the State of Oklahoma who is credentialed as an Incident Commander. If a community or the State of Oklahoma determines that there is a need for someone to manage a large scale incident such as the Moore Tornado or the various large scale wildland fires. I am one of five in the state who could be called to manage such incidents. I am currently on two different State of Oklahoma committees dealing with first responders.
2. What qualities, qualifications and characteristics will you bring to this office?
I am a proven leader. I have managed numerous personnel as well as have worked on developing budgets. I have managed hundreds of various crime scenes. I have experience working with City, County, State and Federal agencies. I have a “laid back” personality that takes everything into consideration before making a decision.
3. How would you control the proliferation of the 1033 federal program that offers military equipment and assets to Police departments and the over militarization of police?
There should be a limit to what these agencies purchase. I believe there is a need for some of the equipment due to the terrorism, we need to seriously look at what is being purchased and why. I believe that some of maybe be purchased could be used for various agencies. Joint cost sharing on items such as the MRAP that have been purchased recently.
4. Since the Sheriff is the prime administrator of the Sheriff’s Department and the Tulsa County Jail, the Sheriff is responsible for creating policies and procedures, budgeting the department’s resources– monetary, human, and equipment, and overseeing personnel, what have you done to educate yourself to take on the complex administrative and budgetary issues of the Sheriff’s office?
For over a year, I have attended nearly every Tulsa County Budget Board and the Criminal Justice Authority. I am the only candidate who has done so. As an elected official, the Sheriff is responsible for setting the budget of Tulsa County. He needs to know what other elected officials are doing with their budgets and how it affects the county. The Sheriff develops the budget for the jail and delivers it to the Criminal Justice Authority. The Sheriff works for the Criminal Justice Authority. It is the Criminal Justice Authority who manages the money for the jail.
5. Sadly the action of a volunteer led to the death of a man and the consequences have been divisive for our community and have cost our taxpayers literally millions of dollars. Will you use volunteer officers? How will they be used?
I believe in the use of the reserve deputies. My plan is to use the reserve deputies in a support role. These volunteers will help with investigations, jail, and patrol. Those working in patrol will be riding with field deputies. This will allow our deputies to have someone with them immediately. In the past, reserve deputies were allowed to patrol on their own or work with specialty units such as the Violent Crimes Task Force. This will not occur during my administration.
6. Explain your plans to gain the support and cooperation of the men and women currently working in the Sheriff’s Department? What will you do to rebuild morale in this department?
I will attending the squad meetings with the employees of the Sheriff’s Office answering questions they may have. Once I have attended every squad meeting, I will develop a communication plan to keep the employees of the Office informed. I will meet with the Sheriff’s Office Fraternal Order of Police. By developing rapport with the employees and seeking their input on how to correct problems within the Office, I will be able to also improve moral.
7. Since the Sheriff is an elected position with Constitutional powers to intervene between citizens and the Federal Government, what are your views regarding the conditions, if any, under which such intervention would be appropriate? What action, if any would you take if Federal agents came into Tulsa County to enforce Federal gun laws?
I will not support any Federal takeover of our county. The constitution gives the Sheriff the authority to stand up against such action. I will not support or allow the Federal agencies to come in and take our weapons. It is our right as American Citizens to own and bear arms.
8. Explain what changes if any you would make in the handling of persons in the county jail who are mentally ill?
Two of the new buildings being build are for those mentally ill in the jail. We need to work at developing programs to divert those mentally ill from going in the system. We need to work with the local mental health providers to press our state legislators to increase funding for the mental health.
9. The Oklahoma economy has weakened and government revenues are down. Since the Sheriff serves as one of the eight members of the Budget Board for Tulsa County, what specifically would you propose to deal with a shortfall in County revenues?
I will look specifically at my Office to ensure we are spending money as wisely as what I can as Sheriff. As a member of the budget board, I will work with the other elected officials to ensure that money is being spend right. I am willing to voice my concerns and issues when I feel that is not being done. I will hold others accountable. It is the citizens of Tulsa County money we are spending.
10. How will voters’ best distinguish between you and your opponent(s)?
I will make myself available to speak and meet with any groups. I will have my staff attend meeting with me as well. I believe that as an elected official, it is my duty to be out in the public and available._ Follow FortySix News on Twitter and Facebook: Follow @FortySixNews